Sunday, July 15, 2018

Yucatan Love


My whole life I have appreciated many different types of culture and have learned to admire the differences in every place I visit. I have straight up been nerding out here about the Mayan culture and how it relates to Mexican history. Something I love about working in the community centers is that we get to be working shoulder to shoulder with the people who live there. I have learned so much about their rich history, traditions, and daily way of living. We laugh with them, stress with them, learn with them and learn from them. They joke about daily occurrences and I laugh until tears nearly run down my cheeks. They call me white girl and make fun of how I don't have a boyfriend. Just like my real friends right? They make my soul feel happy and alive with learning and progressing in my own life.

Yucatan culture includes an assortment of food, dance, traditions, and clothing. Did you know that almost everyone in Merida, Mexico sleeps in a hammock? Beds are sometimes no where near to be found within a home. A few small hand-woven hammocks hang from the ceiling in their place. The natives admit it may not be comfier than a bed, but still wouldn't change their traditions. It keeps them cool from the heat and gets their feet off the ground after a long day. Their typical dances involve a white shirt and pants for the boys or an elaborately embroidered white dress for the women with flowers in their hair and special makeup. We eat lots of Mayan dishes such as salbutes, poc-chuc, and panuchos. They are similar to tacos but with fried tortillas and special ingredients within. They love their colorful ornate houses and enjoy live music in every restaurant around the center. Their live music could make even the coldest person yearn for some good salsa.





No comments:

Post a Comment